Thursday, August 14, 2003

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Our friend Fiona Harrison came to town and taught Lux a new trick. In the past week or so we had been seeing more and more smiles out of our girl, and have even gotten her to stick out her tongue once or twice. Fiona told us that the easiest facial expression for babies to copy is pursed lips - and promptly showed us just how easy Lux found it. Now we can make kissy faces and Lux will make them back. It seems like one more step closer to being a little person and one more step away from being a newborn larva.

Speaking of monkeys, Lux is also beginning to use her hands a little. She wraps her arms around us when we carry or hold her and she is grasping, albeit randomly, at all types of things. Though I endeavor to keep her nails short, she continues to scratch her face in her attempts to remove her own eyeballs, and although I purchased little mitts to prevent that, it seems a pity to use them to thwart her strides towards manual dexterity. Lux also likes to turn her attention to my hair, grasping great handfuls of it. Unfortunately she knows how to grab but not how to release. My choices seem limited to the constant wearing of braids (and after all the Heidi the Milk Maid jokes I got once we shared Lux's delivery photos I'm not too keen on that) or the removal of the offending hair (though I fear a close crop will leave me looking more like G.I. Joe than Halle Berry). Hmmm. Maybe we'll just use those baby mitts after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home