Our Little Sack of Turnips
Our little girl is growing up! Sure it seemed as if she was getting a little larger, her thighs plumping up nicely, but it is hard to tell for certain when you don't have a baby scale. So when Deepto and Jacquie were visiting and we happened to stop in at a Williams Sonoma we tried weighing Lux on one of their uber accurate digital kitchen scales. I'm sure that it is an excellent product when it comes to weighing, say, truffles, but it was less than totally precise with a squirming baby who had problems staying on the small, flat weighing surface. So, we decided to try again using a lower tech method this past weekend. In the produce department at the local grocery store we found a scale with a nice little bucket on top. And it went up to 30 pounds in case I had been really over feeding Lux. We had a little trouble at first (Aunt Karen didn't want to let go of Lux's head - which weighs a lot!) but in the end we got a reading somewhere around 10 lbs. 14 oz - an increase of more than 2lbs since her birth 6 weeks ago!Confirming the relative accuracy of the grocery scale is the fact that Lux has graduated from Newborn diapers to Size Ones. So now I am beginning to wonder if that means she is no longer a newborn. Is she still an infant? Or is she just a Size One?
Other milestones - more frequent smiling, finding her thumb (hand, fist) to suck on more often, holding her head up as well as a Size Two at least and a growing vocabulary of coos and goos. Most importantly - last night Lux slept for the first time in her crib (in her own bedroom!) and she only woke up once, near 5 am (which, technically means she slept through the night!). Moving her to her own room had become neccessary because in my sleep deprived state I had taken to responding, automatically, to virtually every noise she made. And babies make a lot of noise when they are sleeping. I guess I realized things were getting out of hand when I started tending a bed pillow in the middle of the night instead of Lux. That's right, a bed pillow. Once night Lux was making noises and Paul asked me if I thought she needed to feed. I replied that she already was. He was dubious, and rightfully so, but I insisted that she was breastfeeding until I woke up enough to realize that I was holding the pillow and Lux was safe in her bassinet. A few days later I found myself sitting on the edge of the bed and burping the pillow. Paul thought all this was hysterically funny until he did virtually the same thing - waking me up insisting that the baby was lost in our bed when she had never been in it. The final straw was Monday night, when I got Lux up to feed her at 1 am, went downstairs with her and started to breastfeed before I realized that she was totally asleep and not interested in the least. We might have continued on this way, but I came across a copy of the Baby Whisperer, read it and thought I might give it a try. The very first night it worked like a charm and we all slept better than we had in weeks (six or so). Of course, today it doesn't seem so easy as Lux seems to be rejecting all of my attempts to coax her into taking a nap, although she is clearly exhausted. Ah, well, Rome wasn't built in a day.
This weekend - the parade of visitors continues with Uncle Mike and Aunt Devi from California who are bringing a very special treat - their daughter Hera. We are very much looking forward to bringing the cousins together for the first time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home